At Steele Dentistry, we understand that many patients feel nervous or anxious about visiting the dentist, and our goal is to help you feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible when you are in our office. To do this, our dentists have gain the training and certification necessary to provide sedation dentistry in Denver, Colorado, and Stapleton, Colorado. With a variety of sedation options, we can help anxious or nervous patients enjoy their dental care. If you would like to learn more about what types of sedation we offer, we invite you to contact us at 303-278-3353 and set up your consultation with Drs. Kate Steele and Lisa Schaffer.
Does the thought of going to the dentist make you feel squirmish or anxious? Perhaps you do not like the sight of someone reaching into your mouth with unfamiliar tools. Or maybe the sound of drills and polishers remind you of negative dental experiences you have had in the past. Whatever the reason, if you feel nervous about going to the dentist, our team can help.
Sedation dentistry is a great and highly effective way to help anxious or nervous patients feel more relaxed about their dental treatment. Each form of sedation uses safe and monitored medication, and our Stapleton dentists have received the necessary training and certification to properly and safely administer several types of sedation. Depending on the level of your anxiety or needs, we are pleased to offer several types of sedation, including:
- Nitrous Oxide: also known as laughing gas, this type of sedative is a gas, and it is mixed with pure oxygen. All you need to do is simply inhale the gas through a nose mask, and you will feel calmer in a matter of seconds. Once your treatment is complete, we will remove the mask, and the effects of the nitrous oxide will dissipate in a few minutes.
- Oral Sedation: this form of sedation involves taking a prescribed pill by mouth before coming in for your scheduled appointment. By the time you arrive at our office, you will feel relaxed.
- IV Sedation: IV sedation is administered through the veins, which allows the medication to take affect more quickly than other forms. Our dentists and team carefully monitor your sedation levels throughout your treatment to ensure your safety.
All of the sedation options we offer are a form of conscious sedation. This means that you will remain awake during your treatment and have the ability to respond to instructions, but you will feel relaxed and not completely aware of what is happening. Many patients feel so relaxed that they end up falling asleep, and some do not remember their treatment after the sedation wears off.
Sedation dentistry is a great option for patients with a variety of circumstances and needs. Some of the most common reasons why we may choose to use a sedative include:
- To calm nervous, anxious, or fearful patients
- When patients are unable to sit still for their treatment, typically a result of dental anxiety
- When performing more invasive or complex treatments, such as dental implants, wisdom teeth removal, tooth removal, and root canals
- To ease the discomfort of patients who have a sensitive gag reflex
- If is harder for a patient to get numb in more traditional ways
If you feel that you could benefit from sedation dentistry during your next visit, we invite you to contact our dental office in Denver, Colorado, and Stapleton, Colorado. Our dentists can evaluate your situation and help you know if sedation dentistry is right for you. When it comes to your safety and comfort, you can trust our Stapleton dentist!