If you fail to take care of your oral health, you might start to develop a serious medical condition called gum disease. The first stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. Here are some important facts to know.
– Poor oral health habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco, neglecting brushing or flossing, and eating lots of sugary foods can cause gingivitis to develop.
– Gingivitis is usually first spotted in your gums that bleed regularly or easily.
– Another sign of gingivitis includes excessive redness, swelling, or tenderness in your gums.
– Chronic bad breath can be a sign of gingivitis.
– Gingivitis can be reversed with consistent and appropriate treatment.
– If gingivitis is left untreated, it can turn into a severe form of gum disease called periodontitis in which pockets form in your gums, leading to eventual loss of your teeth and the weakening of your jawbone.
– If you are pregnant, have diabetes, take certain medications, or gum disease runs in your family, you are at a higher risk of developing it.
If you think you have gingivitis, please call Steele Dentistry as soon as possible. To book an appointment with Dr. Kate Steele at our dentist office in Denver, Colorado, please contact us at 303-278-3353. We look forward to hearing from you soon!